Redbeard's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

It's been a while since I previously tried this, but I still remember it being sweeter and more floral than other vetivers. It opens very crisp and grassy, with what almost seems like a hint of mint. Much like Bobby Jones, it really makes me think of a lawn or a golf course. It's quiet in a kind of balanced way, which I'm somehow convinced is due to their not using any of the sharper-smelling natural oils (definitely a synthetic vibe!). Later on there gets to be more soil and less grass, almost straying into the violetty woods regime of He Wood and its flankers. It's not as strong as I recalled, but then I guess they're putting it in a "cologne" series since it's an EdC? Toward the end I start to recognize the inky component of the vetiver, but I still feel like I somehow missed something here. I thought I recalled it being more natural, but it's still decent, and it seems to recover strength and return to a more normal vetiver smell by the end. I'm giving it a reluctant thumbs-up in part because of how cheap it is and how long it lasts.

28 March, 2013