desertclouds's avatar

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

I bought this blind after reading several basenoter's recommendations, and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. It is a gardenia with elements of a woodsy oriental-almost-gourmand to my nose, with a heavy dose of humidity thrown in. Reminiscent of a garden in the southeast U.S. region that has just been graced by a rain shower; a heavy concoction of blooming magnolia trees, with their grand leaves, and something similar to figs (perhaps the ginger and shiso?) linger in the heavily moist air.

Gardenia lovers may rejoice. I've since passed it along to my mother and she really enjoys it. Truthfully speaking though, it is very linear, has terrible silage, and only lasts for about an hour on my skin. I have read that several other newer Goutals have longevity issues as well. I can see how someone else might place this with Carnal Flower; however, I certainly would not recommend it as a substitute. It could perhaps be Carnal Flower's fourth cousin, removed, by marriage, and from a different country.

12th April, 2013