MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

I've always wanted to "freeze" the lemon/citrus topnotes of many of my favourite fragrances. I felt Dior's Eau Sauvage, Hermès Orange Verte, Eau de Rochas pour homme and particularly the original Lacoste would benefit from prolonged citrus presence. Then I tried Monsieur Balmain... In this one the squeezed lemon note actually stays with you for hours - and guess what? It actually ruins the whole thing. My personal conclusion is that the best classic citruses are the ones with a fresh zesty opening but with an equally pleasant drydown. This progression often lands in some kind of herbal or woody base, unfortunately the Balmain stays mainly lemon and eventually a faint & not too clean musk. So it's linear and pretty boring, however - if the thought of a long-present lemon note excites you the way it did me before, then by all means give this oldie a shot. I would try Penhaligon's excellent Blenheim Boquet to though, also with longlasting citrus but paired here with a refined and elgant smokey pine making it's structure infinitely more interesting.

28th April, 2006