ubuandibeme's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Before sampling the newest child of fragrance industry icon - Tom Ford - I read all the reviews, checked out the listed notes, and then sampled away! At first I was on the look out for a reason to hate this scent because there was so much seemingly undue hype around T.F. After spritzing this one on though, I must concede and concur ~ Mr. Ford has earned his accolades! Black Orchid is a well thought out, finely crafted perfume. At the top: Black Truffle, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot & Black Currant. I love this initial blend. The Florals, Fruits & Lotus Wood in the middle didn't particularly thrill me. In fact, I became slightly annoyed by a little tickle in the back of my throat while those middle notes hung around. After that, my most favorite part of Black Orchid...the drydown to the basenotes! Noir Gourmand, Patchouli, Incense and Vetiver! Sexy! For me, this is not a dark or heavy fragrance. I find it fresh, yet deep & mysterious. Actually, it is somewhat airy until the top & middle notes settle down. Black Orchid is unique and satisfying, I will eagerly anticipate future releases by Tom Ford; right along with the rest of you!

Having tried the better portion of his fragrance range, I can confidently say that Black Orchid is my favorite Tom Ford creation - hands down!

18 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)