calchic's avatar

Heliotrope by Etro

A very lovely fragrance with edible notes, albeit cool ones. I don't find this to be a warm comfort scent; the unifying almond thread in it has a cold, even chilly edge that I believe comes from its pairing with the powdery tonka bean heartnote. I like that it's on the cooler side, though; this saves it from being sticky or just plain annoying, a la the uber-sweet almond scent Lea. Etro Heliotrope is more along the lines of Castelbajac to me, particularly in the drydown when the almond comes down a bit and a clean-like-fluffy-laundry stage emerges. The only strike against Heliotrope for me is its relative simplicity; I don't find it hugely nuanced or interesting and I get bored with it quickly and inevitably end up layering it with something a little more "challenging." Strange though it sounds, I enjoy combining it with incense-based fragrances.

14 September, 2005