VintageVogue's avatar

Evelyn by Crabtree & Evelyn

The original Evelyn is one of the finest rose fragrances in my collection. Formulated in partnership with English rosarian David Austin, Evelyn replicated the scent of Austinís own Evelyn rose thanks to headspace technology new at that time. The original Evelyn was a superb rose scent with a hint of peach and a marvelously enticing woodsy, musky drydown which rendered it peerless among your typical rose perfumes. Unfortunately, just recently C&E decided they had to re-jig the formula. Why, I donít know. But I wish they hadnít. The newer formula (see my review there) has so muted that exquisite woodsiness in the drydown that I canít even smell it. There are still a few older bottles of the original Evelyn around. Snag one if you can.

04 August, 2005