purplebird7's avatar

Vétiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The more I smell of vetiver, the more I learn abou this faascinating note. Just when I think Iknow what it smells like, I sample a different version and marvel at the contrast. This one threw me the most, because it was the simplest. For example, how much citrus aroma is due to the vetiver, and how much is added as supporting notes by the perfumer? How much harshness, smokiness, or spiciness for that matter? LIke all good L'Artisan fragrances, this one is clear, stripped of unnecessary flourishes. And the vetiver is clear, only mildly lemony, and without a trace of harshness. It is clean but not at all soapy. It is grassy but not even woody. This simple frangrance has taught me alot about what vetiver is, and even more about what it is not. Chances are, if you think you don't like vetiver, you just might be reacting to the supporting notes. Try this one--it could change your mind.

08 March, 2007