_R$_'s avatar

Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

What a terrible excuse for a fragrance. I've lived in Kansas for 16 years now, and if anyone knows what a thunderstorm smells like, it is Kansans. We open all the doors and windows, turn on the attic fan, and go out on the front lawn to see the storm roll in. Grab a beer, drink some wine, smoke a cigar. It's a time to relax and clear your head. It's the smell of dirt and rain. It's pure. Thunderstorm (The fragrance) has this tense quality to it, with no resemblance what so ever to a real one. I don't know why people think that a thunderstorm smells electric. Define electric. If you mean electricity, you are very mistaken, electricity has no scent. If you mean ozone from lightning bolts, you are extremely mistaken. There isn't enough lightning for you to actually smell ozone. Believe me. I've only smelled it once during a storm, and that's when the tree in our yard got hit. We decided to stay outside a little longer, to see if a tornado would pop up. Thunderstorm is a poor effort, only made worse by people accepting it as the real deal. Come to Kansas sometime you'll see enough lightning and feel the thunder. You'll know a real thunderstorm.
    - Rich