Aiona's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

I'm a relative newcomer to niche scents, so my opinions of this fragrance may change, as this is one of the first niche scents I ever got a chance to smell. When I first tried it, I didn't expect to like it. I didn't consider myself a fan of roses. However, I enjoy the rose that I experience in Rose 31, well through the top notes and into the heart. The rose is not a fresh rose. It's a dry, metallic rose mixed with cedar, and some incense-like smell, which I can only guess is the oud or guaiac wood. It also smells so very feminine to me! So I was surprised to find out that it's marketed for men. I was also extremely bummed when I found out how much it cost, because it is rare for me to find a floral that I like. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it has a metallic smell. It also has a "doughy" smell, as Vibert mentions. It has so much doughiness, that when I first smelled it, I wanted to call it a "chewy rose." I like it very much, and it has changed my opinion about rose scents.

03 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2008)