Scentsibility's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm in my first full wearing of Muscs Koublai Khan today and I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
    I guess with all the hype I was expecting something brash, bold, controversial even. But MKK is none
    of these things. It reminded me a bit of an 80's power scent on the opening - not any particular 80's scent - just
    the profile. It was loud, but certainly not overpowering like the Kiehl's I once tried. It settled down quickly into a smooth musk with an unwashed edge. This was pleasant to me however, not rank or nasty, and I found no fecal or animalic notes. Quite contrary to what I was expecting, "subdued" is an appropriate term to describe this scent.

It is sweet, but it stays far away from the realm of candied musk that is Musc Ravageur. It is, in fact, very natural smelling - and settles into a nice skin scent on me. I catch a whiff now and then and fancy it coming from my own pores. If my sweat smelled like this I wouldn't have the need for cologne. I'm certain that it was created for intimate moments with a partner - and it seems best suited for this. MKK is the smell of The Morning After... (minus the bad breath)

With so many scents intent on covering up our natural odors, it's refreshing to find one that blends so naturally,
    and wears so unobtrusively. It's a nice change too from the cumin-laden scents that try to be dirty by design. Compared to MKK they all fall flat.

08th November, 2007