mikeperez23's avatar

Aoud Leather by Montale

I have come to the conclusion that this scent is much better when worn with another fragrance - not worn alone.

The linear scent of leather (very similar to Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford) starts with a very raw (yes, iodine like, as Trebor mentions below) top note that gets softer and simultaneously more realistic the longer it remains on skin. The absence of florals, powder or cigarette ash gives the scent a solitary minimalism - that I appreciate. It is the olfactory equivalent of slipping on a leather jacket and to me, this gives the scent a fashionable opulence. It also feels just as comfortable worn dressed up as it does worn with a white T-shirt and jeans.

However unlike other opulent scents I own, AL's linear accords bore me quickly worn alone. So, layering the scent (I've layered it with everything from Mugler Cologne to Youth Dew) is where it true magic shows.

Not a fan of layering scents? You might want to pass on this one, then.

04th September, 2009