odysseusm's avatar

Silvestre by Victor

In my quest for noble pine scents I treated myself to a discontinued treasure: Silvestre by Victor (aka G. Visconti di Modrone). I was not disappointed in my purchase, and consider this to be a highlight of my collection. I suspect that I’ve acquired a “vintage” bottle (from days gone by) the contents of which, although in fine condition, may have lost the bloom of youth. Like vintage wine, it may be that some of the lighter notes have retreated and the more solid and earthy notes have developed. So be it. What we have here is a big, woody scent – but a classy one. Pine and cedar notes, gratifyingly persistent, provide a very nice counterpoint to the rich musk and vetiver base. This is not floral at all, and projects a mature masculine austerity. It is a serious, deep fragrance; dark but not saturnine. This can be a powerhouse due to the incense and musk. If applied sparingly, it is an absolute winner in my opinion. So here’s my daydream as I wear it: I’m Marcello, dressed in a casually elegant suit. Having applied Silvestre, I drive my Bugatti to meet Sophia for lunch at a charming Roman cafe. There, we discuss our latest film project with Frederico. All that from a spritz of fragrance!

21st February, 2007