odysseusm's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Grey lavender, delicate smoky amber” (Lutens product information)
    The range of opinions on this is most interesting. Those who like it, like it a lot. I’ll put my cards on the table: I love dry aromatic lavender and I don’t like amber. This scent has very little lavender and it has a particular style of amber. And yet, it is so well made that I cheerfully give it a neutral.
    As I said, to my nose the lavender is MIA. Almost immediately I got a creamy, buttery amber note, with a bit of a salty tang. For a while this aspect dominates. It is somewhat unusual, and not unpleasant. It reminds me of a smoky cream cheese. The amber is translucent or “claire” and it is not cloying. In dry-down the amber becomes more conventional.
    For comparison, I am also wearing L’Occitan. Now THERE is a dry, smoky lavender! The lavender is powerful, and there is no amber. Thus I love L’Occitan. To each his/her own.

04 December, 2008