odysseusm's avatar

ArbitRary by Ayala Moriel

Although ArbitRary can be a unisex fragrance, I like to think it has a masculine ‘sensibility’, and it is one that I greatly appreciate! It is quite lively and refreshing, but it is not at all floral or sweet. I also think it is a very well-designed fragrance. By that I mean that the transitions from top to mid to base are sophisticated and effective. Specifically, the fresh and appealing basil of the top is continued and developed in the basil-lemon notes of verbena in the middle, and those herbal aspects reach a culmination in the grassy hay and moss notes of the base. This is a great modern take on the classic chypre; which I understand to be a citrus and grass sort of scent, like the breeze wafting through the lemon groves and fields of Cypress. A romantic image to be sure, but the appeal of a good scent is so much in romance and connotation. This is a very attractive, Mediterranean style of summery scent... I love it!

16 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2008)