odysseusm's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

Lalique’s Encre Noir is not at all what I expected, yet I like it. The name (‘black ink’) prepared me for something dark, perhaps brooding. The high-class vetiver ingredients led me to anticipate a substantial grassy vetiver element. This is fresh and crisp, light and yet quite interesting, with very subdued vetiver. It has a pleasant green-floral opening. There is a slight earthy/black soil note. Rumor has it that blackberry is another ingredient, and I believe it. During the first half hour I could detect just a hint of blackberry, not sweet-fruity but slightly tart. Eventually, light wood notes emerge, which I suppose are the cashmere wood but which remind me of the birch in Cartier’s Declaration. The wood almost has a lemony citrus aspect which is really intriguing. The white musk reminds me very much of Mugler’s Cologne and I’d say that the two fragrances are similar, except EN is greener and crisper. This is a very good daytime/ workplace scent, and would be refreshing in warm weather.

29 March, 2007