beltz's avatar

Yvette by Michael Storer

I like Yvette for the weirdest of reasons. People often associate perfumes with memories, and usually in a romantic way. This won't be the case here, but memories is the reason why I like Yvette.

When I was 10 years old turning 11, my house was set on fire on Christmas Eve. It's not as bad as it sounds like, but I mention this since I associate two perfumes with it.

Comme des Garcons's Tea smells like my house the day after it burned. It was partially damaged so we could enter, and it smelled of burnt wood, which was nice in an odd way.

Yvette smells like a product used in a "smell machine" contractors used to make the burnt wood smell go away. They had repaired the house but for a few months, it would still smell like burnt wood. This machine produced a "pink" scent that gradually overcame the smoky odor. Yvette is very similar to that odor, and so my memory associates 6 months of insurance money coming in, buying me a Super Nintendo with the newly released Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and other gems... As I said, this wouldn't be a romantic review. I was 11 year old when we started using the smell-machine. Now I want a bottle of it.

04th December, 2008