Bruspotter's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

After months of deliberation, I finally obtained a sample direct from the Salons in Paris. It was a sample in wax, on a card with a plastic covering which one peels off. I immediately applied some to my wrist, sniffed, and then recoiled in horror as the fecal, sweaty, genital odour flooded my nostrils. I was immediately reminded of a smell from my childhood. We used to buy a product in joke shops in England in the eighties called 'Fart spray' which was an aerosol which when sprayed, filled a room with a pungent, musky and downright revolting smell which hung around for ages. It was a kind of tinned stinkbomb. I used to delight in spraying my younger sisters' room with the product and I remember her once getting revenge by spraying my pillow with it. Well to me, Muscs koublaï Khän smells similar to that. It also brings to mind images of musky old wealthy Belgian women with bad breath, indeed the kind one is likely to encounter in the classier quarters of Brussels. There is definately a hint of vanilla cowering underneith the fecal chord, like someone who hasn't washed for a while and then applied vanilla talc to 'freshen things up'.

Glad I finally got to smelling it, but I'm afraid I can't say it smells divine. I have been trying to eliminate the scent from my wrist with a stiff brush and washing up liquid. I've managed to draw blood, but the smell is still there!

13 May, 2009