nthny's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

At first I wasn't too sure about En Passant, and I'm still not in love with it, but I now really appreciate it for what it is. The first time I smelled it the lilac reminded me of air freshener (don't hate me!) and I realized I must have been in a bad mood and decided to test it again another day. I'm glad I did because it doesn't remind me of air freshener so much anymore and now, right from the beginning I get the impression of dewy lilacs nestled on a plate next to a pile of powdery wedding cookies (a.k.a. snowball cookies - the round, buttery, almondy/nutty ones covered in powdered sugar). There really is an innocence, a simplicity, an alabaster-skinned, rosy-cheeked impression about En Passant. And it's no joke: there really is a doughy note in the fragrance, and it combines with the lilac and cucumber to create this ultra gentle, soft, angel's breath sort of feel. I couldn't decide whether it was beautiful or pretty and so I thus dub it: beautifully pretty.

01st January, 2009