Sugandaraja's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

Well-made, but uninspiring to my nose. Perhaps I'm a little jaded having seen rose, oud, and rose oud combos done better elsewhere ( may I introduce you to Czech & Speake's Dark Rose? )

The top is the usual Montale oud and rose combo, but the rose soon dominates this fragrance almost entirely. It's not a naturalistic rose, but it's not a cheaply synthetic one either. It reminds me of some rose absolutes I've smelled.

After more than twelve hours, the rose shifts, the patchouli becomes more noticeable, and Black Aoud does its best Voleur de Roses imitation.

Black Aoud may keep on developing after this stage, but I bathe at least daily so I wouldn't know.

What has been said about incredible longevity is true, but its sillage-monster reputation is undeserved. Its sillage is more than adequate, but not a sillage bomb. This probably works in its favor, all told.

Thumbs up for a well-made fragrance, but it's not bottle-worthy for me.

01st April, 2009