Merbert's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This is a frankincense foundationed fragrance for men who are unafraid to wear florals. I think that it's the sweetest Duchaufour that I have smelled so far and, after about a month getting to know it, I can appreciate the sweetness. I found my appeal for Jubilation XXV like a courtship, that develops understanding and appreciation over time.

On initial application, there is a sharp presentation of incense blended with coriander, cumin, cinnamon, mace, and a touch of oud (not quite enough for my taste.) I do like the way that the fragrance develops over time, becoming darker and more mysterious, but also much warmer. This is when the floral aspect deepens and it is a welcome addition, not clashing in any way. I smell orris and even a little violet. By the time it has completely dried down, it's practically crackling dry, a sort of incense-leather-musky combination, still maintaining the floral sweetening.

On my skin, a healthy spraying of Jubilation XXV lasts all day or all night, fading gradually and beautifully.

Thank you, Amouage, for returning to the classics again. I considered Ciel, Cirrus, Arcus and Reflection for Men and Women to be uninteresting and conventional.

22nd March, 2009