Asha's avatar

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin EDC

Notes: lime, mandarin, basil, white thyme (from jomalone.com)

Upon first application of Lime Basil & Mandarine, surprise of surprises, I smell lime, basil and mandarin. The mandarin is very subtle, bowing to the more prominent lime citrus note, which is tangy and bitter, more like lime rind than the fruit. The herbal component is obviously more than just basil, although the basil note is very minty, leafy and somewhat juicy. Along with the basil is something I was not expecting--cilantro, a.k.a. coriander leaf. Once LBM develops past the initial opening accord, the mandarin fades to almost nothing, and I feel as if I am covered in Cuban Mojo marinade sauce. (For those who are interested, my Mojo recipe includes lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and garlic.) I was wondering where the garlic might be in LBM. I never encountered any, but I did notice a curious fenugreek funk in the mid notes. I was wavering between loving and hating the fragrance because of its obvious foody connotations. In the end decided that LBM is a thoroughly enjoyable herbal cologne, with a lovely creamy, woody amber-musk drydown and some kind of mossy ingredient that keeps the base from being too sweet. For an EDC, the longevity has been very good, around five hours. Sillage is moderate. Lime Basil & Mandarin is wearable for both men and women, but edges more toward the masculine.

17 October, 2009