Asha's avatar

Hypn˘se by Lanc˘me

Lancome Hypnose EDP

Notes: Passion Flower, Sambac Jasmine, Solar Notes, Vetiver, Vanilla (from osmoz.com)

Hypnose starts with a quick blast of bergamot and tropical fruit notes, and quickly transitions into a powdery vanilla and white floral middle. There is a sweet and tart juxtaposition that is often found in feminine floral orientals of the same era--it is usually somewhat candy-like, although in Hypnose, this combination does not come across as particularly edible. Vetiver is listed in the notes, however, I do not smell anything that resembles the vetiver essential oils I have experienced. I'm pretty sure there is actually a cleaned-up vetiver and patchouli combination in Hypnose, because the fragrance has a kind of masculine "bite" in the base that is similar to other post-Angel floral orientals.. In fact, as I was catching whiffs of sillage today, I noticed that Hypnose has a kind of barbershop quality that I never noticed before. In contrast, up close, the overall impression is billowy sweet vanilla, as feminine as it could possibly be. The base continues with sweet, soft vanilla, a nondescript amber accord and the vetiver-patchouli. I know that Hypnose is not universally liked, but I have always found it very enjoyable. It is not quite as "girly" as some floral orientals, and pulls the Angel-like feminine-over-masculine structure down to an palatable level. Perhaps this makes Hypnose more bland, but it also makes it more wearable.

18 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2009)