Bigsly's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Smells nice but I don't like lavender, and this has too much for me. It's "generic," but the ingredients seem to be high quality, as you would expect. I wear what I like, regardless of what's "in style," but I don't like this type of fragrance so I can't give it a positive rating. I can understand how others would say that it is nothing special, and that Chanel should create more unique fragrances, but it's not like there is any shortage of fragrance variety these days, so it doesn't mean much to me. I would be more concerned about dynamism. This isn't dynamic enough for me, even if I liked all the notes. Actually, the closest fragrance I wear to this one these days is Sport Field by Adidas (which is sort of like a light version Montana Parfum d'Homme, but a bit more complex). So, I am obviously more interested in notes and construction than quality of ingredients. You may have the opposite view.

My old "newbie" review, which was negative:

Like Connoisseur, I also got a "strange sickly, pungent, rotting garbage smell," only it was "synthetic" on top of that! This is what I call a "challenge frag." It challenges your olfactory limits, and whatever you do, do not smell it up close on the skin! So, try before you buy this one, and wear it more than once before you buy a full size bottle. You might like it, and that's fine, just make sure you actually do like it, and don't get convinced that you like it after one wearing.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2010)