Bigsly's avatar

Stetson by Stetson

This opens with powerful animalic jasmine and rubbery amber, which, as you might guess, is not pleasant in any traditional sense (except perhaps if you wear certain "classic" women's fragrances). It dries down to a soft and powdery sweet floral, with a hint of woodiness. The amber is fairly consistent throughout, and the rubbery aspect of it never fully disappears. I think that a spice note may have rounded this out, but as it stands it's a bit basic for me; the drydown is pleasant but lacks dynamism. Even though it's cheap, so too is Lalique for men (the "lion"), and that one is clearly a better version of this in every way. I think that for most people, once they've come to appreciate better fragrances of this kind, such as Shalimar Light or the aforementioned Lalique, there is really no reason to have Stetson around, because when you wear it, you will likely ask yourself why your aren't wearing one of those other ones. I found the longevity to be fairly good, but it does ease up quite a bit in terms of projection/"sillage" in a short period of time.

My old newbie review: This is way too animalic for me at the beginning, then it softens up, but there's still too much animalic jasmine for me to want to wear this regularly. If it wasn't for that, this might be quite nice, though too feminine for some men. My guess is that this might work well for a guy who sweats a lot, unlike myself. I don't mind the spices or powderyness to it, but due to the animalic qualities, I much prefer something like Carven Homme, and since they cost about the same, there's no reason for me to reach for Stetson.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2009)