Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Donna Karan Black Cashmere

I think there has to be a rule that if a feminine marketed scent contains the word "black" in the name it really means its unisex. It has taken me so long to try the 2002 release, by Rodrigo Flores-Roux, Donna Karan Black Cashmere that it has sadly been discontinued. After wearing it I am not surprised that it never found its mark on the designer shelves as this has niche stamped all over it.

The top of Black Cashmere begins with a melange of soft spices. Nutmeg, saffron, pepper, and clove all appear as if on a spice-laden breeze. This is an unexpectedly warm combination and M. Flores-Roux continues the warmth into the heart. There a dark rose accord takes the lead and it is the spicier aspects of rose that are accentuated to complement the spices that linger from the top. The base is a woody incense olfactory fireplace at which to warm one's sensibilities. The woods are wenge and sandalwood which add a sharpness and a creaminess. The incense is frankincense and labdanum which again creates a shrap and rich aesthetic.

Black Cashmere has modest longevity and average sillage on me. I think this is where the quality of ingredients needed to keep the price down shows a bit. If this were truly a niche product the quality of ingredients would have made this one last much longer.

I am sad that I didn't discover Black Cashmere until it was too late because these are the kind of releases I want to support from the designer end of things. For now I'll just pull my fragrant cashmere tight around my shoulders and lose myself in its softness.

11th December, 2009