Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

I love weaing the old classic Guerlains and while I feel they are timeless I also feel they hearken back to a slightly different era, too. I've also heard that this 1904 creation of Jacques Guerlain is supposed to be the EdT version of Jicky. I don't think I'm ready to go that far as I think the similarities have more to do with being Guerlain than trying to be a different version of an earlier creation. From the top it is lemon and lavender with a little bergamot and this is one of the deepest lavenders I've come to wear. I certainly find it deeper than Jicky's start on me. The floral heart of this is gorgeous as a light rose replaces the lavender and this is done in stages and when the lavender and rose are in balance at the interface of the top and heart, my heart like the Grinch's grows two sizes. The base is where the civet note which I think is what everyone seizes on to make the comaprison to Jicky appears. Here I find the civet to be more prominent, than in Jicky, and in perfect balance with the classic Guerlinade finish. Mouchoir de Monsieur translates to "gentleman's handkerchief" and it does remind you of a time and place where gentlemen carried and wore a handkerchief. What I find so amazing is it still feels relevant over a 100 years after its creation.

02 May, 2009