Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Le Labo Oud 27

I've recently realized that Le Labo has been the House that has the highest percentage of scents I really like a lot. A lot of that has to do with the mix of styles that Le Labo puts out. The spectrum between the challenging mix of Patchouli 24 and the unique Rose 31 makes for a House that takes chances and at least for me has rarely fallen flat. Oud 27 is the 2009 release designed by Vincent Schaller and it falls closer to the Patchouli 24 side of things in the Le Labo universe. Oud is one of those notes that is not for everyone and Montale has made a cottage industry of putting out different versions of full-on Oud centered scents. Le Labo, I felt, was going to take a different tack and they do. From the top the Oud is there and it is strikingly bold. It is mixed with saffron and cedar. Oud is one of those notes that many liken to a medicine cabinet or more prosaically, urine. If you have tried an oud scent in the past and it does that on you then I expect the beginning of Oud 27 will be enough to send you screaming into the bathroom to scrub this off. I, on the other hand, love the smell of Oud I find it reminiscent of every bar I frequented in my misspent youth. It always smells to me like the mix of cheap booze, old cigarettes and yes maybe a little of the men's room in the back. I wouldn't call it a comfort scent but it is certainly a familiar scent and one I like. That all happens at the beginning but then its like walking out of that that olfactory bar and into a hazy summer night where somewhere a fire is burning. The scent slowly releases the Oud and uses an incredible mix of sweet amber, and a hint of rose. You can smell all of this while the cedar stays in place. The base of this is a nice rough leather which still retains hints of all that came before. Sort of like if I wore a leather jacket to my imaginary bar and was picking it up the next morning. I'd predominantly smell the leather but I'd catch whiffs of everything else, too. Oud 27 is a challenging scent and I can't recommend it for everybody. If you are a fan of Patchouli 24 I think there is a good chance you'll like this one. I know I do.

18 April, 2009