Jemimagold's avatar

Quercus by Penhaligon's

I really wanted to like Quercus more than I did. I am a sucker for traditional, luxury items of quality and adore the classically stylish Penhaligon's bottles. My favorite genre of perfume is probably citrus.

But, Quercus, was just ho hum. It was a thin citrus fragrance with musky notes, none of which had much depth or complexity. It seemed watery and weak, and needless to say it did not last long on my skin. Smell-wise, Quercus reminded me a lot of CKOne and who wants to remember that?

I think the biggest obstacle Quercus faces is strong competition from fellow colognes. Its own sister Blenheim Bouquet is a wonderfully sunny floral chypre that leaves Quercus in the shade and raises the question as to why Penhaligon's feels the need to carry both fragrances. Also easily outclassing Quercus are Parfums de Nicolai's Balle de Match, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Rochas and Bulgari's The Vert Extreme.

Here are the notes from Penhaligon's website: Top- Cardamom, Galbanum, Lime, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin; Middle- Jasmine, Muguet; Base- Sandalwood, Treemoss, Musk.

03 July, 2008