pydepiper's avatar
    pydepiper

L by Lolita Lempicka

L de Lolita Lempicka is a good choice if you're looking for a unique fragrance but not one that's completely, expensively niche. I found it at my local department store easily. I say unique because it really doesn't smell like half the stuff out there. I find that many fragrances, whether they're for women my age (I'm 19) or other age brackets, focus on the floral-fruit-sugar! accord and leave me wanting something, I don't know, a little different. Not TOO different- if I wanted the kind of unique that is analogous to the punk-rock-artist-day-job-physicist-part-time-kitemaker, I'd go niche. But different enough not to be Aquolina Pink Sugar, do you know what I mean? I feel like L de Lolita Lempicka is a orange-yellow-white fragrance, if you can describe smells in colours, while most fragrances are light pink-peach-pale green.

I adore vanilla, so the vanilla drydown of this didn't put me off at all. But the best part of L is the top and heart notes- at first, on my skin I get this burst of citrus-orange-florals and burnt cinnamon that makes me feel like I'm sitting under an orange tree that is shedding its blossoms all around me. Then the bright notes fade off and I get this bright, intense sunlight sensation- like lying on a sunsoaked rock on a Mediterranean beach in full summer. Maybe that's the immortal flower note. This all fades, though, and in the end I end up with a vanilla-slightly-musky sweetness, all white and warm, that leaves me feeling like I'm lying in white sand at the perfect temperature. With cookies.

16 April, 2008