bbBD's avatar

Incense Extrême by Tauer

I've only recently started exploring incense fragrances and find them to be very hit or miss for me, probably a consequence of what variety of incense the perfumer is attempting to capture. What I have found is a 'vein' of incense style that I really enjoy, and I find that style present in Incense Extreme.

IE starts with a frankincense note that is clear and precise but not overwhelming. Balancing the incense is a touch of sweet-but-not-too-sweet - which I assume to be the ambergris. The incense is well balanced with the ambergris, which I suppose may not appeal to those who want a stronger incense note and smokier body. As the fragrance develops woody notes appear along with the incense, and the composition as a whole is lightly powdery.

What I really like is the transparency and delicacy of Incense Extreme. While the CdG incense series is very good, I find them a touch difficult to wear, especially to work. IE is imminently wearable, and as a wearer I can focus on the incense, the ambergris, the woody notes, or I can take a step back and just enjoy the composition as a whole. It reminds of me of Vetiver Dance in the way the notes seem to fade in and out subtly. Multiple wearings reveal different facets of the fragrance each time, and a single wearing just simply isn't sufficient to get a handle on what's going on here

IE reminds me of a slightly toned down version of Memoire Liquide Hommage and a very, very toned down version of Guerlain Bois d'Armenie. I assume thiee is the variety of frankincense that Longevity is good like the other Tauers I've tried. This clearly wasn't intended as a sillage monster but as a more discrete fragrance, thus the sillage is what it is supposed to be. I don't own any Tauers right now, but if I were to buy some this would be my second choice behind Lonestar Memories. Very enjoyable.

From Luckyscent:
    Incense, touch of spices, powdery orris, cedarwood, ambergris, frankincense

22 February, 2009