Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Very floral, quite classic, and I can’t decide if it leans more toward formal or sensual—I go back and forth on that. I do get the slight sour note in the beginning, but it’s gone in a flash. I really don’t notice as much of a rose note as I was expecting there to be: With the hype about, ‘Make us the most gorgeous rose perfume in the world…’ I naturally thought I would be smelling an almost pure rose note backed up by some citrus and green and wood. What I get is a mixed floral fragrance. To my nose the violet and jasmine are especially strong. I do smell rose, but not enough for me to call Paris ‘a rose scent.’ Anyway it’s lovely and very feminine, and it is quite strong, which is not at all surprising considering it is from the 80’s. Paris is a sweet, attractive, beautifully-constructed floral fragrance that’s not really eccentric enough for an YSL fragrance IMO. It has a beautiful, delicate wood / musk dry down and it lasts for ages.

04 December, 2006