's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

My father wore Heritage in the nineties, and I remembered it wrong. He is a dark, portly, effete, gourmand of a man, and his fragrances always seemed to be calculatedly classic, with an irreverent splash of, "I'm Latin." (Think Antaeus, Azzaro...) Good things, but not things I would go for, nor feel neither excited nor nostalgic about.
    BUT I smelled Heritage again today, and I find it wonderful. I am overcome by associations, i'm thinking of antique stores and old books, voyeuristic, estatesale jaunts into perfectly-kept, time-capsule, men's dressing rooms... I want a bottle as soon as possible for my collection.
    I must say though, that this is the fragrance of the man of the house. I tend to be perversely androgynous in my take on most fragrances, saying often that true classics may be worn by either sex and impart faceted, genderless character. But not Heritage. It's a man, this one. An established man with taste and exposure, but staid rather than adventurous. Yet venerable entirely.

13th December, 2008