Marcelle's avatar

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Bigsly nailed this for me: it's a little like Ysatis (which I used to love) wrapped in narcissus (meh) with a warm undertow of leather and amber. I don't know what to make of it, quite, on the one hand, the opening blast is a little too sweet for me, and the drydown is old-school amber and labdanum. But then again, just when you think you've got it pegged as something from grandma's closet or your hippie college days, you catch the pepper or the leather or that leafy note (myrtle?) and it impresses with its layers. It's overwhelmingly masculine and overwhelmingly feminine at the same time--and that's both the beauty and the beast of it.

I'm not so much neutral about this as ambivalent. I don't know that I'll ever invest in a full bottle, but I know I'll be back.

05 October, 2009