shamu1's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Although the original Opium for women is one of my most hated fragrances, I have to respect Opium PH for the mere fact that it stays true to the spirit of the original, which is a rarity in fragrances released under the same name for both women and men. It doesn't smell exactly like the original, but it does capture the blazing, spicy feel of the original Opium for women.

Therefore it almost goes without saying that Opium PH is an intense fragrance. To my nose or my skin, OPH smells almost like two different fragrances, depending on whether you're wearing it in hot or cold weather. In hot weather, it's simply overbearing; I bought my first bottle of this just recently, in the heat of summer, and wearing it felt like I was being shot in the eyeballs. It's just too heady for me to wear in hot weather. Now that the weather has cooled down significantly however, especially in the evening, I am finding OPH to be a lot more agreeable, and quite good.

I'm not particularly good in picking out individual notes in fragrances, and Opium PH presents an especially difficult challenge for me. Part of the reason I find OPH so intense is because there seems to be so much going on in this scent, so many spicy notes flying around in all directions. I really can't tell what's in this, except lots and lots of SPICY THINGS, to state it academically. This isn't to say that it's not a well-crafted scent, but rather that it's a challenging scent. It's exotic and extremely bold, never really evolving over time but rather simply calming down over time. I respect fragrances like this.

What I like most about Opium PH is that it truly embodies what I think of when I hear the words "exotic oriental fragrance". I don't think it's a great fragrance, but it's certainly a good one. It's not a scent I'll be wearing often, but during the right time of year and in the right situations, I'll put this on to make a bold impression.

22 September, 2009