Seraph's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Some scents bring mental images right away more than anything else, and this is one of those for me. I picture flowers, but indoors, in an old, dimly lit place, and with a definite air of... what is that? Wax. For some reason I think of unscented candles and various flowers, some of the scents of which are being blown in on a breeze from an open window.

Here's where I have to laugh, and I may lose some people. The first time I tried L'Heure Bleue and my mind went down this road, I then pictured a church, an old one, relatively small, just one big room with two rows of pews and an altar at the front. It's not very well kept but not totally decrepit, just in a more run-down part of town. It doesn't smell the way most people associate with church-y perfumes, no incense or anything, just dust, age, faint wood, but mostly flowers. Sunlight streams in through a few small, high windows along the walls, the path of light visible to the floor in the floating dust....

Then it hit me, and I laughed to myself for my nerdliness. It was an image inspired in part by a video game. I was picturing the inside of Aerith's church in Final Fantasy VII; on some level, I must have subconsciously decided that it smelled like L'Heure Bleue. I can't imagine there is much overlap between perfume fans and gamers, but for those very few who may be reading this and know the reference- Remember how she grew flowers in that old church? And how it was kinda dark and dusty, had the hole in the roof that the sun came through, and ended up being rather damp? That's what L'Heure Bleue smells like- Aerith's church.

Sorry, everyone else. At any rate, I thought it was a pleasantly dim, waxy floral, mysterious, and a good interpretation of the name.

10th May, 2009