Punjab by Roberto Capucci

The herbal greens and the wormwood grab the opening of Punjab and almost immediately I get a rich but discreet leather note in the background along with a background resinous note that seems neither herbal nor wormwood… it’s a soft mixture, I believe of amber and myrrh – quite a beautiful and smooth background note. Smoothing out… not really the background, but the platform of the fragrance… is a reticent patchouli / floral / coniferous accord. This is a complex scent: Already ten minutes into the opening I’m getting three different accords – all aromatic… all distinct. Hmmm. I’ve never encountered something like this before. As a unified sillage away from the skin, these distinct accord combinations lose their distinctiveness, and respond to the nose as a complex mass accord giving, I suppose, a strong impression of herbal - leather. It is potent, rich, resinous, masculine, and more linear than its complexity would suggest.

I admire the complexity and the wearability of Punjab. I won’t be looking for a bottle because of my lack of fondness for leather notes; however, I recognize this as an excellent fragrance.

11th December, 2009