Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Rahät Loukoum is a sweet almond gourmand scent, indicative of, as others have pointed out, the “Turkish Delight” desert treat. I’ve encountered almond scents before that I’ve found way too sweet – sickeningly bubble gum sweet – for instance, Blu Mediterraneo's Mandorlo di Sicilia was just too much sweetness for me. Rahät Loukoum is another story. I find that the almond / amber / rose accord is … perfect. It is very sweet, but somehow in an accord where the sweetness doesn’t become cloying. This sophisticated restraint is important in order for Rahät Loukoum to be considered a serious fragrance. It is, however, quite linear. I don’t really get much of a change of character throughout … just that delicious almond / ambery / vanilla accord staying tenaciously in the foreground. It’s a strong fragrance and one with excellent longevity. I do think it weighs in more on the feminine side than the masculine, and I think it is quite youthful. Rahät Loukoum is beautifully put together and well refined. It’s an enjoyable scent and I love smelling it, but, as far as wearing it… sniffing will probably be the full extent of my relationship with it.

09th March, 2008