belleotero's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Holy mother of god, this is amazing. And it's just the edt! - the most delicate spritz of which is enough. It's unbelievably sumptuous, rich and complex, & it smells very old-school to me, like a vintage Guerlain. When I was a teenager my mother wore this for a while, but I didn't like it then, either on her or me. I suspect it's not just my taste but my body chemistry that's changed (back then Samsara was my oh-god-what-are-you-wearing-that's-divine! scent, but it no longer works on me). I get a fair bit of bergamot and orange peel in the top, which is beautifully blended with the rest of the perfume; then intense amber and myrrh together with something else that's faintly sweaty (celery/cumin?) at certain moments, but works, together with a blended floral (I can't pick out jasmine or any of the other notes mentioned); and a very dry vanilla something like Shalimar's plus what I could swear is sandalwood though it isn't listed as a note. I haven't even gotten to the drydown yet because I've been compulsively re-spraying it to smell on myself every evening since I got it (too strong for work) -- it is just to die for.

10th June, 2010