Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

HABIT ROUGE EDC opens with a citrus and spice mix which conveys a similar vintage vibe as Dior's Eau Sauvage. As the lemon recedes the rose joins the vanilla to take centrestage. And this is where it gets disappointingly bad for me. I'm a fan of sweet scents but the sweetness I get here feels watery, a little sickly even and certainly not what I would expect from the same nose who created the vibrantly sublime Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Some two hours later, 'sickly' turns to 'decay' and my nose wrinkles up at a moist, earthy faintly fecal note. Ugh. I don't get it - why would anyone want to smell like they had just stepped on a pile of manure?

I must confess I did try to appreciate this classic or at least remain neutral. But I can't. Either they had screwed up the original formula big time or I'm just not a fan of dirty earthy fragrances. Habit Rouge is one big royal mess to me. No offense to those who find this one charming but if I were on the lookout for an elegant fragrance, a sickly sweet scent that literally decomposes on my skin would be the last thing on my mind.

18 October, 2009