jbr's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Oh my, this one starts off potent! What a brilliant, fat bergamot note we have here in Zino's opening moments. This deserves special mention as one of the best (and strongest) representations of everyone's favorite sour orange I have smelled to date - puts me straight in the mood for some Earl Grey. However, as others have noted, though Zino initially has all the familiar trappings of a classic 80's powerhouse, it doesn't quite go in that direction. Zino opts to lower the speed, swerve off the highway and take the scenic route instead - taking some time to smell the roses, as it were. And the rose here is quite well done, surrounded by some nice sweet spice and woods. The real party for me though is the gentle pillow of a base: sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla - utterly beautiful. Only complaint? Longevity is a little less than I would like in a fragrance of this character, but I'm willing to be forgiving when the rest of it is so good.

15th May, 2010