TropiRock's avatar

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

What an interesting fragrance. MPG (Jean Laporte) never ceases to amaze me with his unique creations. To be sure, Jardin du Nil is not for everyone. As others have mentioned, this cologne opens in strange (perhaps unpleasant, to some) fashion. Overripe fruit and yes, I definitely smell the essence that some have described as "dirty socks" or perhaps a sweaty locker room. But that subsides and the drydown is a beautiful, brooding aura as suggested by Dutchy: dark roses, ripe fruit sitting on a vendor's cart in the hot Egyptian sun, mixed herbs. I like it and as with so many other MPG colognes, I can't think of any similar fragrance from any other house. There probably isn't much middle ground on this one: I suspect you'll either find it repulsive or you'll love it as I do, for its special niche in your wardrobe.

04th June, 2010