Kirsten's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I remember trying Shalimar in secret from my mom's make-up drawer. It was way too strong, but then I was 8. So trying it again as an adult, I already had preconceived notions in my head that I may not like it. And I was right - the top notes screeched of thin wood smoke, and I nearly scrubbed it off. It brought to mind a Vail or Aspen ski resort during the winter, sitting at a ski lodge near a crackling fire. However pleasant the image, I didn't picture myself smelling like the fire itself. But I decided to wait and see how it dried down. After 15 minutes or so, the thin wood smoke smell started to get fuller, less thin...it started to round out and become more mellow.

And then the most amazing thing happened.

After a good 45 minutes, the perfume dried down and became this lightly smokey, complex, mellow, rich scent. I don't get a strong vanilla, but a lovely mix that reminds me somewhat of autumn. This one might be slightly strong in the office, but wonderful on a cozy coffee date.

20th August, 2009