neitheornor's avatar

Obsession by Calvin Klein

This is one of the few scents I instantly hated intensely, so much so that I lived a cliche and ran straight to the tap to wash it the hell off of me. Off, off, off, foul stench! Unfortunately, I sprayed it on in the car in a fury of excitement-- fueled by the many positive reviews on Basenotes, I might add! -- and had to suffer through the nauseating olfactory extravaganza that is Obsession all the way home. Spicy, insouciantly creamy, musky, oriental, with huge dollops of vanilla and incense and musk and ambergis and what is that godawful smell and why do I keep sniffing it in an attempt to figure it out or see if it's gone yet, dear god?? Will a fragrance doctor please school me on what makes this so hideous?

Contrary to many of the reviews here, it did not smell old to me at all, mostly because my father never voluntarily wore fragrances, and when he did at my mom's insistence, is was CK Be shower gel. Obsession just smelled WOMANLY to me. I can't imagine how this would smell on a real, true, honest to god man. Probably amazing on the right man, now that I reflect....it's so heady and spicy, and did I mention creamy? This is the smell of an old lady covered in gold and diamonds and a vintage Chanel suit with hat and gloves to boot. Gah! Get its mothballed splendour off of me!

I will say this, in an effort to inject SOME objectivity into this review: It is excessively well crafted. It smells distinctly refined, expensive, luxurious, and mysterious. It is a heady bouquet of oriental musk that lasts forever, projects to the nth degree, and develops into different stages...stages I admit I was unwilling to follow till the end. Which is a lot to say for something plucked from the discount bin at Ross.

Overall: CREAMY. SPICY. And on my skin, HIDEOUS.

18 October, 2009