mumsy's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

I'm not prone to reviewing, but how on earth did this fragrance manage to have the reputation this one has? A ghastly first citric, catty blast, followed by a catty talcum powder with a more gentle jumble of florals, phase. Then a pleasant enough drydown of spicy, incensy notes. I'm detecting some fruity, plummy, strawberry sort of notes too lurking in the background.

I could see this on a woman perhaps when wearing maximum amounts of gold, flashy leopardskin stretchy clothing, fur and dyed hair. I cannot imagine it on a man until at least halfway through the drydown.

I fail to see what the fuss and the price is about. It proves the power of marketing to me. I would prefer to smell of many other things. Much too fussy and powdery a perfume for my taste, but my skin does bring out the darker side of perfumes.

02nd June, 2010