l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

A beautiful, rich opening: not really green and not really abstract – but a denial and an affirmation of the two. I don’t know what to make of it except that it is unique and special. It immediately has almost a narcotic effect – it has the ability to sooth and calm. After fifteen minutes of studying the opening, I still can’t confidently identify the notes, even though there is nothing strange or exotic in the accord. I believe Scentemetal said that the key note is laurel – bay: I think he’s right. I should have recognized it because I have used Bay Rhum for years, but this bay is beautifully modified into a wonderfully meditative accord… Its use presents an oxymoron: strange familiarity. The middle notes move to more familiar territory: a mild, gentle, just barely incense and a mild, gentle, just barely tobacco … surrounded by an amalgam of gentle spices and dirt. It works. The base provides an excellent sandalwood accord still tinged with the remnants of bay and incense, and gently hugging the skin. I can’t say that I have smelled a fragrance quite like this before, but its uniqueness and originality are only small parts of its attraction. #2 Spiritus / Land just plain smells great, is beautifully refined and balanced, has excellent longevity, is very wearable, and does wonderful things for my mindset and my relationship to the universe. This is a gotta have.

09th March, 2008