Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

I’m not sure what to make of Eau de Charlotte… What dominates to my nose (if I can use the word “dominate” to describe such a sheer fragrance) is a metallic note that hovers over a sheer and delicate floral / green accord. I don’t really get fruity… the blackberry buds come across to me as more floral than fruity, and it puts a slightly urinous edge to the lily of the valley. The mimosa is responsible for the greenness and the slight cocoa note combined with the mimosa seems to bring out that trace of powder… but I must admit, if the others hadn’t mentioned “powder,” I probably wouldn’t have noticed it.

I get little movement from Eau de Charlotte… that’s all right, because it is interesting enough to not need movement. I think I like it: Its tender floral sharpness over its pretty soft greenness comes across as the unremitting intrigue of innocent beauty.

05 December, 2010