Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Gris Clair is an interesting take on lavenderóitís heavy, a bit dark, unique, but cool at the same time. Iím not usually a fan of strong lavender fragrances, but I have actually given serious consideration to this one. I like that itís not sweet; I love that itís quite aromatic; I love its darkness. I question that it doesnít seem to go anywhereóit just sits there being interestingly linear. The drydown is definitely a Lutens creation; it is rich, unique, Oriental, and it has almost impossible longevity. In spite of the excellent drydown, and even though I would rank it as my favorite lavender fragrance, I am still considering if I like Gris Clair enough to buy a bottle. It is an intriguing, beautiful fragrance that deserves a thumbs up. This could be a great fragrance for a lavender fan who might appreciate a completely different take on this interesting note. It's one of the few lavender fragrances I would seriously consider buying.

Originally submitted 24 May 2007