catnip_too's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I recently re-visited Chergui for the first time since last winter. My initial impressions have not changed. Chergui is a warm and spicy fragrance, which demands attention. The first feeling is, indeed, of a warm and dry breeze hugging me gently. It is a soothing, but at the same time insistent embrace, and I find it impossible to ignore. I can sense the dark honey well; then it quickly melts into the notes of amber and aromatic, bitter-sweet tobacco.

Chergui manages to combine sweet and bitter notes in a pleasing harmony. It is a rich and “deep” fragrance, but not a loud one. Like other Serge Lutens perfumes, it tends to stay close to the skin. Something in it reminds me of an impressionist’s landscape—brightly-hued compositions, but delivered with soft brush strokes, without strong lines. It’s certainly worth trying by anyone liking spicy, moderately sweet fragrances. On me, it lasts fairly long. I appreciate Chergui, but I think it is a bit too masculine for me.

22 December, 2010