Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

What a con. This is my natural skin scent! Just kidding.

Thanks to all the great preceding reviews Muscs Koublaï Khän comes loaded with associations. Quite predictably the first wearing put me thoroughly in the “what’s all this talk about crotch?” camp. I was expecting a mix of smells found in a stable (which I love) but MKK isn’t like that at all. It certainly does not outstink elegant weirdos like Kouros, Jules or Yatagan. I understand the reviewer who wrote that it smells of sunburned skin (skin warmed by summer sun to be more precise.) Actually, those who don’t find this to be dirty in general seem to make this skin association. This makes for a delicious scent although also a bit strange as if you are suddenly wearing someone else’s skin, almost feels like cheating. Funny that I use the word cheating because in another sense of the word a slight paranoid fear is building that my wife, until she gets used to me wearing this, will suddenly start sniffing around me and go “okay, who have you been with?”

It is a sensual fragrance but also bookish, I certainly sympathize with those who wear this at home whilst reading a book. Because of its deepness and elusive complexity wearing Muscs Koublaï Khän produces innumerable impressions that will make one believe you can recover those famous stanzas of Kubla Khan that Coleridge forgot. Great longevity, sillage is civilized. Obviously, a masterpiece.

02 January, 2011