blueyezz's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I purchased this last year when it was released from the Paris boutique, briefly becoming available on the general market.

I was shopping with a friend and, never having tried it before myself, I told her about its sweaty thighs and unwashed reputation. She sprayed some on her arm, said “Hmmmm…” and promptly bought it.

Since then she has stopped wearing it as she finds it troubling.

Tania Sanchez describes it as “a lost-world fantasy of firelit palaces with the soupy sleepy warmth of two beneath a quilt”. In this lost-world, the king and queen smell of Bois Des Illes and everyone else smells of MKK. They share a deep ambery warmth - the civet in MKK reeks of toil in the stables whereas BdI is a story of opulence and decadent ease.

I don’t wear this fragrance out - I wear it to bed. It makes me feel warm and content. It smells of skin and fur, cozy and safe, with a human or animal smell that is comforting and familiar.

If this frag was a book it would by Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter.

28th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2011)